Source: Google Images
Before Rob and I got married in 2008, we attended pre-marital counseling with the Minister who was performing our ceremony. We did this for two reasons: {1} The state of Tennessee gives you a $60 discount off the cost of your marriage license if you participate in counseling and {2} Our officiant encouraged us to. I'm so glad that we did because it has helped us in our marriage, in the beginning and even now. We often refer to topics that arose during the sessions and have better communication skills because of that time.
One of the main things that we discussed during the session was Church.
We are both Christians, but had not been actively going/participating in any church or fellowship settings. I was raised a Southern Baptist {quite the majority here in Northeastern Tennessee} and Rob, being Filipino, was raised Catholic, although he's attended quite a few Baptist churches since moving to our small town. I will say that I had a somewhat "falling-out" with the church after being burned by some of it's "loudest" members. I had not given up my faith, but had retreated into my own ways of thinking. I also attended college at a University that opened up my mind to other faiths and ways to believe in God and the world around us. I began to have a different perception of God, Faith, Heaven that doesn't exactly vibe with the types of churches that I grew up being a part of.
With that said, Rob and I were not extremely interested in attending church when we got married, but a very important declaration was made by my soon-to-be-husband in the counseling sessions. He felt that it was imperative that we attend and be active in a church when we have children. Rob's ideas were not only that it would give our children a foundation in morals, faith in a Higher Power, but church would also give us and our children, a community to look up to and fellowship with other children and friends.
So, all during my pregnancy, we talked about church. It also became a four letter word. We shied away from the word because we knew that when we discussed it, we would eventually have to take that leap, but we were nervous and scared. Why? We hadn't attended in so long. We weren't sure that we would find a church to accept us. Crazy? Maybe, but you have to understand that we live in a very, very small Southern town and we're a bi-racial couple. We also wondered and knew we would have to confront our own beliefs. We avoided the topic for 9 months... and a few more. We would occasionally bring it up, but it always took a back seat to something else and we would busy ourselves on Sunday mornings to forget.
![]() |
| Sophia's First Visit to Church |
But last week, we were in a local store and began looking at Easter baskets, candy, and toys. We picked out a basket for Sophia and Rob said, "It's too bad we don't go to church so she can go to an Easter Egg Hunt." I replied with, "We can have a Easter Egg Hunt at our house." He shrugged his shoulders. So, I said, "Fine. We're going to church on Sunday." I was tired of us both putting it off and we had to just do it.
We had already discussed what churches we wanted to visit in our town, so we picked one and we went on Sunday. We were so incredibly nervous... how in the world would Sophia act for an hour in a different place with all of those strangers? She was great. The service ended up going for an hour and a half. She played with every little toy that I brought in her diaper bag and had a snack of goldfish, but she was a darling the whole time. She even "sang" along with some of the songs.
So, to wrap up. We have a few other churches to visit before we decide where we feel at home. How are we to choose, though? Maybe, we'll just "feel it"? I don't know. I know that some of the criteria that we are looking for is:
- A great youth program for Sophia
- A supportive, positive, teaching Pastor and atmosphere
- A church that doesn't put down others {or other churches} because of differences in opinions. I feel like if you have to put others down in order to bring your message, then your message isn't strong enough to stand on it's own.
- A family. A church family that will support my family, reach out their arms to my child, and love us... just as we are.
What do you look for in a church? Any suggestions for us as we begin this important journey and discovery into our new found Faith?

9 comments:
This search is very commendable and I think you're looking for great things in a church. Can I recommend visiting an LDS church (aka Mormon church)?
You can read about our beliefs before going at mormon.org. (That site also helps you find the nearest congregation.)
I found everything I was looking for there, including everything on your list. And you have nothing to lose by going to see for yourself:) Good luck in your search and keep us updated!
This post made me want to give you a hug and tell you to come to our church (of course you'd have to move to PA for that).
We visited churches when we were first married (and moved to the area), and thought a LOT about "criteria" we'd look for.
In the end, we remain members of my husband's childhood church. If you were to ask me why I love it there, I would give you a simple answer: It is our family.
The people there know us, love us, care for our daughter as their own. That's why I think your last criteria is such an important one.
The other thing that's important to me is that our church is Biblically Based. It doesn't matter so much the denomination or the small details: I want a church that teaches sound, Biblical doctrine (which I believe is a Gospel of love, forgiveness, and salvation).
Will you just "feel it?" I think so. I will pray for you and your family as you take this important step, and I wish you all the blessings in the world! Can't wait to read updates.
PS: Your little one looks super cute all dolled up for church! :)
Our story is similiar to yours and I could write many long blog stories on it!
We actually switched churches last summer for a few reasons (one of the long stories) and found a church that is in our neighborhood, very very kid/family friendly with great programs, and a service with lots of music and modern aspects. It "fit" us and we're loving it!
Yay for you and your family coming out of your shell :)
I love that you and you husband have such a need to give your little one the best parts of church even though you have seen the worst.
I agree with Erin that trying to find one who is non-denominational and based solely on the bible is a good idea, the bible teaches to love everyone. And before you fall in love with people and atmosphere really find out what they believe and what you believe.But often if you find a church who will love you just has you are, then they believe in the things that matter.
I pray for you guys on this great church hunt!
I'd look up Grace Community Church. I think it might be in your area, its in Clarksville (I don't know exactly where you live in TN). I've heard it is a wonderful church.
http://www.gcomchurch.com/
I would recommend a Mormon church too (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.) I think you'll love them!
Loved this post! We recently found a church that we both like (HUGE accomplishment...I lean more in the liberal protestant direction, and my husband leans Quaker). We found a congregational church that we love and that is right for us. It is a liberal Christian church and is unapologetically all about Jesus, but also demonstrates what it means to be a Christian in a way that is very different from a lot of the more conservative traditions in which we were both raised. For example, it is important to us to go to a church that does not condemn homosexuality as a sin. I know others may feel differently, but this is what we believe! It is what works for us. The key is figuring out what you both really and truly believe, and looking for a community that believes these things as well. And I LOVE the idea of finding a community that doesn't need to put down the beliefs of others in order to celebrate its own beliefs. Right on!
This was a great post and I love how you're so honest about your search. There is nothing wrong with searching for the right place to worship God... I pray you will find a place where you and your family feel comfortable and will grow in the Lord. I wish you could come to my church - although we are conservative in doctrine and things like music, I think overall we are understanding and accepting of things like interracial marriage, 2nd marriage etc. It's not something that should divide the people of Christ, in my personal opinion. :) Can't wait to hear where you end up going!
And thanks for such a great "family" topic - you always give me good ideas for what to write about myself!!
Post a Comment