One of the ways that my family has chosen a green-er lifestyle is by planting our own veggies. No, we don't live on a farm, but we do plant enough to sustain our family for the summer and are even able to can and freeze some veggies for the winter!
The first step to our garden is planting the seeds. Since it's still a bit cold here in Northeast Tennessee, we always start our seeds indoors. You don't have to, but it gives us the opportunity to harvest sooner and when late Spring, early Summer hits... I covet those fresh, ripe, juicy homegrown tomatoes!
Last weekend we had a few days of warmth, so I gave Sophia a little lesson on planting seeds. She enjoyed snack while I got dirty.
We planted Broccoli (new for us this year, we'll see how it goes), Green Peppers, Jalapeno Peppers, Beefmaster Tomatoes (for hamburgers and sandwiches), Better Boy Tomatoes (for canning and soups), Peas, Squash and Zucchini. We will plant the Green Beans, Carrots, Collard Greens, and Spinach straight into the Garden when the chance of the last freeze is gone.
I'll keep you updated on our little garden, as we already have some sprouts in just a week. I'll also show you how YOU can have a garden like ours without owning lots of land!
So, do you any gardening yourselves? Please share your successes with me! We are always looking for new things to try!
7 comments:
Well, you saw my backyard. I dream of a garden someday! Can't wait to read more about yours. PS: your munchkin is so cute! :)
we just planted lettuce for the first time...hopefully the backyard critters won't get to it before we do!
oooh beefmaster tomatoes sounds SO delicious for some reason -- like i want to eat an entire one right now!
i hope planting goes well for you this year!
Oh yes, we garden! Somewhat to the extreme...every side of our house has some kind of food growing in it and we have pots of plants all over! :) I should post about it but we blog (about 2x a year LOL)about it here: onceuponagarden.blogspot.com - I am really bad about keeping up with this blog tho.
We just bought our seeds the other day! :)
We are getting ready to start our first garden! I'm really excited and hope it goes well!
Wish I lived on land. We'd be growing a wee garden too!
The house we are renting came with three pretty good sized raised beds! Woot! SO far, I've planted two types of broccoli, brussell sprouts, zucchini, and 2 strawberry plants. I've started all my herbs indoors in the same little things you have in your picture. They've sprouted. I also have a little bit of arugula in a pot. We're waiting for a plant sale next month to buy our tomato plants. I'm pretty set on not planting hybrids and will only buy heirloom. Yay, for you and your garden!
Post a Comment