Friday, January 28, 2011

The Talk

These 8 months have flown.
So, yesterday Sophia and I had "the talk".  It went a little something like this...

"Ok, Sophia.  You are 8 months old now.  It's time for you to start playing a bit more by yourself.  It's also time for Mommy to stop getting up in the middle of the night every time you whimper to rock you back to sleep."

On normal nights, she goes to sleep around 9 pm and wakes up around 1-2 am.  I rock her back to sleep, but she has to be asleep, or when you lay her down, those eyes pop wide open and she screams when she sees me walk out of the room... repeat process over and over...  We were up for 2 hours on Wednesday night.

So... how was the first night after the talk?

WONDERFUL!

She woke up at 2 am and started making noises, but instead of running in her room (as I would normally do), I just listened.  The whimpers (she didn't even really cry) were gone in less than 5 minutes!  Granted, I know tonight will probably be a different story, but last night gave me such encouragement!

a notreallydisclaimer:  Yeah, we had that talk.  I struggled with whether I would share this on the blog because so many other Mommy bloggers that I know, would definitely disagree with some aspects of my parenting style.  Whose to say they're right?  Whose to say I'm right?
I believe, as a mother, you do what is best for your family, your child, and your life.  That's what I'm doing and I encourage you to do the same, whether you agree with my tactics or not.  I think it's time for mothers to start applauding one another instead of feeling judged by each other.

On another note... I'm Hopping this weekend!

bloghopbutton

If you're a new follower, be sure to leave a comment and I'll follow you back!

22 comments:

1grown2togo said...

New GFC & email follower from Feed Me Friday Hop~Shari

http://www.1grown2togo.blogspot.com

Debbie said...

You are so right! I think mothers attack each other because we feel threatened that someone is doing something we aren't. But good for you for having the talk. Mine are all teenagers and believe me, we have lots of "talks"!
I'm a new follower from one of the Friday hops. It's nice to meet you.

Chubskulit Rose said...

visiting from the bloghop, already a follower. Hope you can drop by..

DP said...

LoL. The "talk" to a baby!

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love yours! I’m following you back from the blog hop!

-DP
Hip Chick's Guide to PMS, Pregnancy, and Babies

April said...

AMEN, sister!!!! {on the non-disclaimer section, that is}

and i'm SOsoSo happy for little Soph.... i knew she would be a big girl! glad "the talk" went well LOL

Mrs G said...

Talk away, at some point you have to let them self-soothe. Weve been doing it since ours went to their room at one month. I got crap for it but now, at 20 months, they still go to bed, and sleep, without fighting. Do what you you think is best and dont listen to anyone else.

Pip444 said...

Hi. I am your newest follower and l would be delighted if you would follow back. Found you on Chubby Cheeks blog hop
http://3elf.blogspot.com
Thx Lilac

Unknown said...

Isn't she sweet?! I'm glad your "talk" worked...at least for one night. ;)

Jessy - Hopping in from Blog Hop Friday
http://oursideofthemtn.blogspot.com

Chase said...

I definitely agree you have to do what is best for you and your family and at that moment! Even what works with one child might not work with the next! :) Following your blog from Friendly Friday. Would love a follow back! :)
http://www.chasesview.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I'm glad that it worked for you. Anything that helps you get more sleep and agrees with your family is a great thing!


I'm a new follower from Fun Follow Friday.
I hope you'll come check me out at PS Mom Reviews and follow me too!

Alison Agnew said...

New follower here! I would love for you to join my new linky Fridays Unfolded at http://www.stuff-and-nonsense.net/2011/01/fridays-unfolded-3.html

Blessings,

Alison
Stuff and Nonsense

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews said...

She is adorable!

I just found your blog through one of the Friday blog hops. Have a great weekend!!

Amanda @ www.nutritionistreviews.com

Tammilee said...

Hi
I am a new follower from the blog hop
I blog at www.tammileetips.com
I hope you will stop by
Tammilee

Rondi @ WAHM Resource Site said...

Lovely blog! Thanks for the follow. I am following you back. Have a great weekend!

Loree said...

Hi- new follower!! Stop over at my blog The Stitching Chick http://sew-chic-designs.blogspot.com/ :) Thanks!!

Annie Dee said...

Found you on the blog hops!

I'm totally one of those mom's that goes with the flow :) I believe babies need to learn to soothe themselves... I'm still "spoiling" my 3 year old though... so I might not be the best advice giver! :)

Darcy said...

I think you are right, we need to support each other the best we can while respectfully disagreeing. (There's a difference!)

You do have to do what works best for you and your family.

I was following you from before, but today I'm passing through from Fun Follow Friday :)

~Darcy & Brian's Tales From the Nursery
http://www.darcyandbrian.com

Alison Agnew said...

Thanks for linking up to Fridays Unfolded! HOpe you'll be back again.

Blessings,

Alison
Stuff and Nonsense

DoubleTheLove! said...

Yay! I think 8 months is when my boys started sleeping through, it was SUCH a relief not be woken up every 2 hours by one or the other!
I hope she decides that she'll let mommy sleep more =)

New follower! doublethalove.blogspot.com =)

B said...

Hello! Great article today. :O)

I'm a new follower from Social Parade on Friday. Cheerios!

~ www.billiemonster.com

Amanda M. said...

I am new to the whole blog scene and just started following. I can tell I will have fun reading yours. Your page came up and the first thing I read is about your little one and sleeping through the night and oh boy did I have the worst time with my daughter so you are lucky :)

Julie Kieras said...

Huh...maybe my little guy is STILL crying at night b/c I never laid it out for him! :) haha!
I also decided around 6 months to let him "work it out" as call it. I don't totally let him get hysterical, but if he whimpers, or even cries a little for a bit, I let it go... I took about 2 weeks of some kinda stressful fussing but then he started napping like a dream... until just this past month - but I think it's the teeth...
So happy that your baby is taking well to sleepy time though! :)