She is such a smart girl {but aren't our kids always so smart to us?}
Here's a few things she can do, on "prompt":
- Say and Wave Bye Bye.
- Give Kisses
- Say: "Mama, Dada, Papaw {sounds more like Pap Pap}, Mamaw {very similar to Mama, but more drawn out}, Go, Gone, Ball, Car {sounds like "Ca"}.
- When you ask her what a Cow, Kitty Cat, and Lion say, she responds with their "noises".
- She can point to Eyes, Nose, and Mouth on people, dolls, animals. {But not her own yet!}
- Take her Velcro closure diapers off {this skill is one that I'm not particularly proud of!}
| I don't know WHO taught her to drive! |
I'm sure there are a ton I'm leaving out, but basically I'm stating that I feel like Sophia is hitting her developmental milestones right on time or even a bit earlier.
With that being said, Rob thinks that we should start implementing a "Learning Time" everyday. I don't think he's necessarily suggesting an hour long study time, but more of a 15 minute session of "ABC's, 123s, reading, singing, etc." I tend to disagree. I feel that Sophia and most children, learn through constant interaction. We break out into song {whether it's ABCs or something else} randomly through the day. We count, talk about colors and shapes as we play.
So, I'm turning to you.
How do you teach your young Toddlers?
5 comments:
My baby girl just had her first birthday, too! I'm with you on this one... we learn all throughout the day. I make a point of talking things out with her, like "You have a red block and mama has a blue block." I think that's the way she learns things best right now. Structured learning time seems more appropriate as she gets older to prepare her for a more structured school environment. But, not yet! She's still my baby and learning through play is the most fun way to learn anyway! :-)
Ditto...play is a child's primary language until they are - hmmm...at least middle school. I would argue that adults still express themselves through play. FYI...I am trained in play therapy!
talking and reading to your kid all throughout the day, along with playing is really the way to go. I think your husband has the right idea at heart, but if you are intentional about getting that abc song in somewhere in the day, that's just as good (and probably much better) than sitting her down for a serious alphabet chat. ;-)
I have a toddler and a degree in Early Childhood Education (birth through age 8), and let me tell you....they learn from YOU. What you do with them and what you do indirectly. Set good examples, sing all the time, read, and talk about what you see and experience. That's the best learning!
I have no advice for you on this and actually need to read all the comments as my little guy is a bit behind, he is was a super fast walker and amazed the dr however he isn't talking a lot yet more just saying "uh uh" and screaming if he doesn't get his way. The dr says we need to look into a speech therapist if he isn't talking more b the next checkup, talk about a Mom fail :(
Post a Comment