So, while I was picking up the {continual} mess around the house yesterday, Sophia gave me inspiration. Inspiration to turn to my blog and say to all of you, "What am I going to do with this girl!?!?"
![]() |
| Images from my iPhone. |
All of these actions happened within 10 minutes. First, she found her walker {that she never, ever used} without the seat in it, as I was washing it, and proceeded to climb on top of it, while my back was turned, not 3 feet away from her! I got her down {after I rushed for my iPhone to capture this moment because I knew Rob wouldn't believe me!} Then, she climbed into the laundry basket. Then she dumped the laundry basket full of clean fluff. I turned the basket over so she could stand up, holding on to it. Did she do that? No. She climbed on top of the laundry basket!
Did we really go from walking to climbing in 1 week? What do I do?
Rob says we need to teach her how to get down from things safely. I say we need to teach her not to climb in the first place. Where do you all stand on this issue? I need advice!

8 comments:
Hmmm that's a tough question! We haven't quite reached that stage yet. I guess you'll have to decide what she's allowed to climb on (couch, etc.)? I have NO IDEA. Good luck! lol
I agree with Rob! My son never tried anything like this. He was always cautious and never really climbed at a young age. My daughter on the other hand, who is 14 months younger, is my daredevil! I think its just naturally in some of them to climb! I think they are going to do it, to an extent, you just have to help them learn how to do it safely. But you do draw the line as they get bigger and understand more. My kids know NOT to climb on furniture and such, but climbing on the playground and even figuring out stairs safely is a good idea! Your daughter is so little though...good luck! She is soooooo cute! :)
Definitely teach her how to get down. Don't squelch that sweet babe's adventurous spirit. I'm sure she's durable to go with that personality. We used to call my niece "extreme sports Livy."
I agree with Rob! Keep an eye out, because it is easier to climb up than get down, but don't fret. Climbing is a sign of a wonderfully curious mind.
haha! My little man started climbing before he was walking. So I never understood why everyone always said "Oh, he's walking...now the REAL fun begins." Pft. This kid just crawled to what he wanted, pulled himself up, and climbed for what he couldn't reach. No walking required for trouble-making here. ;-)
There are things I don't want him climbing on (bookshelves, dressers, etc.), but for the most part I try to take the stance that he can explore as long as he's doing it in a relatively "safe" mannor. We taught/are teaching him to climb on and off of things safely. And I try to keep an eye on what he's reaching for so I can also move dangerous items that are no longer out-of-reach and teach him that those things are not toys.
It's really a personal call, though. Whatever you feel is right for your family is the way to go! :-)
We literally just hit this stage! Walking, then a week later running, now climbing! AAhhhhh!
SOOO glad A. doesn't climb (yet)... but we have taught him "feet first" every time he's on the couch, bed, chair with us, we make him get down "by himself" by sliding his feet out and saying over and over "feet first! feet first!" and now when we say feet first, he starts to turn himself around. He hasn't mastered it yet but it's getting through to him! :)
Just wanted to stop by and tell you how much I enjoy your blog. I have given you the 'Versatile Blogger Award'! Check out the details here: http://mummylandandlovingit.blogspot.com/2011/05/versatile-blogger-award.html
Post a Comment