Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Slumber Party

When Sophia was about 4 weeks old, we transitioned her from our bed to her crib.  She did great.  We did... well, not so great. 

When I was pregnant, Rob and I both decided that we would not co-sleep.  We just felt that it was best for her and for our relationship as a married couple.  No one told me that when this little girl came home with us, that I wouldn't be able to bear putting her in a room by herself and not staying in there!  So... we co-slept for 4 weeks. She started sleeping much better during the night and I was still getting no sleep.  That's when we decided to transition her.

She seriously did so good.  We would lay in bed and say, "Maybe we should let her sleep with us just for tonight... Tonight?"  This happened almost nightly, but we still missed our baby so much, even though she was literally less than 30 feet away. 

During one of these conversations, we came up with a brilliant idea.  Once she was old enough, we would have monthly/bi-monthly slumber parties.  We would all sleep in our living room, watch movies, and eat popcorn.  We were so excited with our new idea for a family tradition and it actually helped us deal with the thoughts of her not co-sleeping anymore (that and the daytime naps that she took with us!).

So, yes, 7 1/2 months might be a bit early for a slumber party, normally, but we did it!  We had our first Family Slumber Party and it was so much fun!  Well, Sophie slept through half of the movie, definitely didn't partake in the popcorn, but she snuggled me all night long! 




I can't wait until she's old enough to really enjoy this activity!  I definitely think she needs a cutesy sleeping bag for these occasions too!

6 comments:

Kristina said...

So cute. I love the tradition. We co-sleep and I get really bad sleep, but I can't imagine not having the little bug next to me. The Hubs is pretty okay with it and I know she'll be in her own bed soon enough.

Mama Swears said...

This is sweet. :) If we had carpet and not tile in our living room, I would totally do this with my kiddos.

I'm a new follower (GFC krishackney) from the Cloth Blog Hop. I'd love it if you could follow me back at my new (not Mama Needs a Nap)blog: mamaswears.com

April said...

MEEP!!!! adorable, so stinkin adorable! I love it :) In our case, it would be and Amelia playing all night and Caleb sleeping once the movie started. And then the popcorn would be a huge mess.

Your fam is too cute.

Stuff Parents Need said...

Lovin' this in a major way!

WelltoDo said...

Hey there! Cute blog!!! I am a new follower. Stop over and see us green Well to Do girls sometime :)

Cheers!
Suz from http://welltodoyou.blogspot.com/

Stephanie-jean Life:SemiCrunchy said...

Such a wonderful idea!